Friday, June 29, 2012

Oliver + S Jump Rope Dress

I just finished the Oliver + S Jump Rope dress. I have to say, I am really pleased with how it turned out.  I did have to step out of my comfort zone for this one.  I usually avoid things like sleeves, collars and plackets because they take time and require some thought.  I like to sew things that come together quickly and don't require much thought.  This wasn't necessarily one of those projects.  Don't let that scare you though, the instructions are so well written that it wasn't terribly difficult to work through.  I did use this Sew-A-Long  from the SewMamaSew Blog. I am a visual learner so the extra pictures on the SewMamaSew sight really helped.

A few tips/notes that I will add/emphasize.

1.) When adding the collar, it really does help to hand baste it.  Hand basting is also one of those things I avoid, again it's a time thing.  But, I took the time and did it on the collar so that when I sewed it down it didn't go all wonky.  I didn't have to pick out any of the stitching from the collar, it went on so much easier by basting it first. (I might change the buttons, I didn't have any colored ones on hand that matched so I went with white but I'm not digging them.)

2.) When sewing the sleeve tabs, use tissue under the tabs as a stabilizer.  It really does work.  I didn't have any of the little points get caught under my presser foot or down under the needle.

3.) I followed the directions for the belt loops but I think I would make them a little shorter next time.  My belt doesn't quite fill the loops.  Might be something you double check before sewing them down.  In the Sew-A-Long it was mentioned that the belt loops were difficult and they weren't wrong.  There is something about those tiny loops and getting them just right that was challenging.  If anyone has a tip or suggestion for making it easier, please share.

You might notice that the buttons are pulling across the chest a little on my model, that is because the dress form is about an 1 1/2 inches larger than Piper.  I sewed the size 18-24 month pattern and it fits her just right (she's 2 1/2).  The fabric used is called Sweet Shop by Springs Creative.  I really adore the fabric and am considering getting some more.  It is nice and light for summer and the colors are bright and fun.  

This dress was just a practice run for the one I intended to have finished for my nieces birthday next week.  Needless to say her gift will be late, unless I do some serious sewing over the weekend.  It's unlikely though because I've got 2 dozen cupcakes to make for said niece and then she and my sister are going to join me on Sunday to see Brave and maybe do something else special which I will report on later. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment