Monday, June 11, 2012

Crafting ADD

I have a confession to make, I have crafting ADD.  Even though I have a dozen other things on my agenda to get finished, if I come up with an idea I have to drop everything and do it now.  I can't let the new project go or get it out of my head until it has been executed.  I know I'm not the only one out there with this problem.  I wonder if there is a 12 step program or some kind of support group.  Probably not, we're all too busy working on projects that must be finished "now" to leave home for a meeting.

My crafting ADD struck this weekend.  A few weeks ago I made this dress for Piper:


I had just gotten my serger out of the box and was looking for a quick project to practice with it.  Cute, easy and quick to put together.  My kind of project.

Last week I got my Hanna Andersson summer sale catalog in the mail (always dangerous).  In the catalog, I saw this dress:


Sadly, that current dress is sold out.  However, I figured I could remake something very similar.  Using the O+S Popover Sundress pattern and adding a tiny remix and I ended up with this.


I could spend the time doing a "tutorial" on how I did it, but it wasn't anything terribly difficult or genius.  All I did was measure the length of the original dress, decided how big of a ruffle I wanted, subtracted that number from the length, sewed up said ruffle (there are a dozen or so tutorials online for ruffles) and added it to the bottom of the dress.  I have 2 or 3 more remake ideas for the Popover dress.  It's such a basic dress that lends itself well to changing it up easily.  I just hope I can focus on the projects I should be working on and not letting my crafting ADD get the best of me.  Just in case I can't, stay tuned for more. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment