Monday, June 18, 2012

It's a Learning Process

Last week I started out making these:


I measured Piper and thought she was a 2T in width but a 3T in length.  I'm never sure how accurate my measurements are on a wiggly 2 year old so I usually round up a little so as to not make something too small.  In hindsight, maybe I should just work with the numbers I have.  

I carefully prepared the pattern and cut the fabric.  I added flat felled seams to the outer seams.  I made a cute pocket with a contrast lining that folded over to the outside.


I added a contrast lining to the inside of the waistband.


Then came the big moment...I had Piper try the pants on for size so I could make sure the bottom hem was just right.  I just knew she was going to look adorable in them.  Or was she?  Turns out I shouldn't round up.  The rise of the pants were at the right spot if she wished to be a grandpa, but I doubt at the age of 2 that is the fashion statement she's trying to make (not that 2 y/o's should make fashion statements). 

So, off to Wal-Mart to get some inexpensive fabric so I don't use up all my nice corduroy on experimenting.  I picked up some ticking with the intention of making a pair of shorts from the Sandbox pattern.  If they turned out then she would have a sturdy pair of shorts for play.

I cut, I sewed, I sewed wrong...again!  This time wasn't a measuring error, it was an exasperation error. I was so disappointed in the first attempt that I was over thinking the second pair and sewed them together backwards and upside down.  It does take some amount of skill to get pants legs pinned together just so in order to sew them backwards and upside down (there is no picture, I need no reminder of this).

Good thing I bought 2 yards of ticking.  Attempt number three, sewing the size 12-18 month pattern,  and marking of the top and bottom of the pants and now I have these: 


I intended to make shorts but something about the ticking kept saying capri to me.  I lined the pockets with a pinkish fabric left over from Piper's Valentine's Day dress, the same fabric used to make the tie for the waist.  I just felt like they needed a little feminine touch.

If I have learned one thing from this project it is that I still have a lot to learn.  But that's life, right?  I think we should always be learning and improving ourselves. 

Next up, my nieces birthday gift.  




No comments:

Post a Comment