Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Franken-Storm Franken-Dress (Oliver + S 2+2 Dress)

Last week while anxiously awaiting Hurricane Sandy DH was helping me to get some laundry finished up in case we lost power.  He was folding some of Piper's clothes and came across the Oliver + S 2+2 blouse I had made for library that week.  He mentioned that he liked it and thought the shape would make a nice dress.  DH isn't one to have an opinion on my sewing.  So, I jumped at the chance to pick his brain a bit.  I got his ideas and ran with it.  We didn't really have much else to do except wait and see if the power was going to go out or not, why not sew something.  My sewing room is in the basement, it was a welcome distraction to be down there and not able to hear all the wind.

This is the end result:


I have to agree with DH, the shape made for a nice dress.  I used a pink paisley cord I think I got at Wal-Mart on the remnant table, so the dress cost me less than $5.

To add length to the dress (this is where the "Franken" part comes in) I used the O+S Family Reunion dress as a template. I matched up the arm holes of the 2+2 and the Family Reunion and bing-bang-boom, 2+2 dress.  At first I also used the hem facing of the Family Reunion dress to finish the bottom but I didn't like the way it was hanging so I took it off and finished with a narrow hem.

I can't wait to see it on Piper.  I'm sure she will look darling.  I have it ready for her to wear to go to the polls to vote today!  Speaking of voting.  Please, don't forget to go vote (my USA readers).  Voting is a privilege we are lucky to have.  Make your voice heard today!

After this post was originally posted, we went to vote:



And then Piper got a little action out of her dress:



See, I told you she'd be adorable in it.  I really do like the fit of the dress.  Piper loves dresses but she's ruff and tumble so she needs a dress that moves.  This type of fit with some movement is perfect for her.  I see a few more of these in our future!


No comments:

Post a Comment