Thursday, August 2, 2012

Oliver + S Tea Party Sundress

This was the first O+S pattern I bought.  I had been eyeing the O+S patterns for almost a year, trying to decide where to start.  I liked the look of the finished product but with smaller pattern makers, sometimes you might not get the best directions, or the pattern isn't quite right, or any other number of things.  I bought this pattern and it sat on my computer for several weeks before I decided to do anything with it (it's a digital pattern).  The first time I made it I didn't realize that my printer printed the pattern at 96%, so my finished garment, though adorable, was much to small for Piper (you wouldn't think 4% would make a big difference but it did).  I put this one aside for a while and decided to come back to it for my fall project.  I know it is called a "sundress" but I made mine to be a jumper.  I can just see this with a cute top underneath and some tights or leggings.


The dress is done in a super soft denim.  I love the tulip skirt on the dress.  I think it will have lots of spin-ablitity (very important to a 2 year old).  Because of the tulip shaped skirt the pattern uses a "hem-band" to finish the skirt.  Since I was doing this in denim I opted to go my own route.  I made a denim bias strip to bind the bottom of the skirt.  I thought it gave it a finish reminiscent of a pair of blue jeans.


The pattern also suggests adding piping to the seams between the skirt pieces or the seam where the bodice meets the skirt.  The piping really does add a pop to the dress.  But, in this case because I was using the denim and going for the feel of a pair of blue jeans I top stitched either side of the seams down the front and back of the dress. (It was hard to get a good picture of the top stitching)


I also top stitched around the bodice.  Since getting that edge-stitching foot, I love to top-stitch.  I think it adds a professional look to the garment. (Again, difficult to get a good picture of)


The bodice is lined with a cute green polk-a-dot print.


You will notice that this one actually has buttons, so the hard part is going to be convincing Piper that we have to wait to wear it.

I love all the Oliver + S patterns and this one did not disappoint.  If I have one suggestion it is to take the advice and mark out the 1/2" seam allowance around top part (bib ?, shoulders?, what's that part called?) of the bodice.  It really makes a world of difference in ending up with a nice finish to this part of the dress.

I think I am a hair behind in my sewing for fall.  I have 2 dresses/jumpers, 1 jacket, 2 skirts and 1 top.  I still would like to get 2 pair of pants and at least 2 tops finished.  Good think fall doesn't usually arrive until sometime in October here.  :)





No comments:

Post a Comment