Sunday, August 12, 2012

2 days = 2 skirts (Oliver + S Hula Hoop)

A month or so ago Oliver+S released 2 new digital only patterns.  They both looked like they would be quick to put together but with cute end results.  I really wanted to drop what I was doing and sew them up immediately but I resisted, until now.  This weekend I sewed, not one, but two Oliver+S Hula Hoop skirts.

This was the first one I put together.

The animal print is one that I choose for my fall "collection."  I thought it needed a strong contrasting fabric so I looked through my stash and found the rust colored polka-dot fabric.  The polka-dots were from my grandmothers stash that I inherited.  

The skirt pattern has 2 pieces, each of which get cut out of both fabrics twice.  In total you end up with 8 pieces to work with.  The skirt has this little flounce as a special design element.

I thought the flounce was adorable, what I didn't realize was the way the skirt is constructed there is one on the front and one on the back.

Back view (I swear)

I like the skirt and I like the way it hangs.  I just couldn't wrap my head around having the flounce on both sides.  I read and re-read the directions and then I looked at some photos of other's work and it appears as if I've done it correctly.

I just couldn't leave it alone.  I spent last evening and this morning planning in my head what I needed to do to create one big circle with one flounce that was still reversible.

This is attempt number 2.

I like it much better as a full circle with only one flounce.  In addition to changing the skirt, I attached the yoke a bit different than the directions.  The original directions call for you to sew the yokes together into a circle, then attach to the skirt.  I struggled to get it to go together neatly and ended up pulling the seam out in a few places because I had caught the skirt while I was sewing.  It really is a lot of fabric to sew together neatly at one time.

To attach the yokes with my method, I cut each one longer than it needed to be.  I sewed up one short side and left the other unattached.  I folded one long side over to the wrong side by 1/2" per the directions.  I pinned 1 yoke to the skirt, right sides together.  Once I determined the length needed for the yoke to fit properly, I marked that spot then sewed the other short side together.  I basted the first yoke to the skirt. I flipped the skirt inside out then did the same thing with the other yoke. Once I sewed up the second short side I then stitched (not basted) both yokes to the skirt.  Then I finished the skirt per the directions. (did all of that make sense). Of course, when I was finished is when it dawned on me that I should have taken photos.  I'm sure I will make another couple of these skirts at some point, if I remember I will take pictures then.  I was able to cut and sew each skirt during nap time.  You may also notice that I edge stitched around the bottom of the skirt V.2.0.  I was just trying something to see if it made a difference in the finished look.  It didn't.  I'm waiting also to see if it makes a difference after I launder the skirts.  I will keep you posted on that one.


  1. THey are lovely! I ordered the Firefly jacket right away and I couldn't wait!

  2. I like your suggestions.
    I am going to come back for another look when I make this,Thank you!

  3. Thank you Nicole. You are the Queen of O+S, so your comment flatters me. :)

  4. I like your suggestions, too Jane - up to attaching the yokes and there is no way I can make it fit - off to unpick!

    1. I just saw you pics over on the Flickr page, it turned out really nice. Such a fun color combination!

  5. I also meant to add - I only realised a couple of weeks ago that there is a flounce both front and back too - I thought people were twisting it around when taking the pics!!!