Friday, August 31, 2012

Dress Up Days / Oliver + S Popover Sun Dress

Last week when Piper and I were at The Material Girls Quilt Shop (my new favorite store) we picked up a few extra things.  We originally went for fabric to make the candy corn dress, but who can leave a fabric store with just the items you went to the store to purchase?

In my browsing, I came across the Dress Up Days line by Riley Blake.  I had admired this fabric online but it was so much cuter in person.  So, I had to have some.  In addition there was a doll panel to make a doll and 3 dresses.  So, we needed that too.



I made the doll last week.


She was a big hit.  I haven't made the dresses yet, but I'm working on it.  I was inspired by one of the dresses (top right on the panel) for the doll to make a dress for Piper that would be similar.  I came up with this:


I do so love making this pattern.  It's easy, quick and the perfect dress for summer.  Of course since our summer is coming to a close shortly, I'm thinking the colors will translate to fall well and the dress will still look cute with a sweater or a shirt underneath.

Based on the inspiration dress, I added piping under the yoke:



Pockets:


And a hem band with piping:


I also made Piper's other doll a dress to match.  The Popover pattern comes with a doll size dress pattern , so why not.  I had been meaning to do so all summer anyway.  Dollie won't mind if it's winter and she's wearing a sundress.


I just need to get the Dress Up Days doll dressed finished and we'll have a complete set of cute dresses. I love this fabric.  The colors are fun.  Piper picked the purple version because she's a purple loving girl.  I can't wait to see what else I can make with it.






2 comments:

  1. I love the popover dress too. It is so simple and yet so easy customize with interesting details. THe piping is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I have made 3 or 4 popover dresses this summer. They are so easy to make and must be comfortable because Piper wears hers all the time. :)

      Delete