Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Oliver + S Ice Cream / Cherry Blossom Dress

I have had this dress finished for a couple of weeks now but was so waiting for the spring cherry blossoms to bloom before letting Piper wear it.  Finally, the weather has decided to warm up and the blossoms are in full bloom.  This morning, DH, Piper and I made our way into DC to see the blossoms in all their splendor.  The cherry trees in full bloom in Washington DC truly are a beautiful sight, if you have never seen them and have the ability to go you really should.

So, this is the dress I made just for the blossoms:


You would think I would have a better picture of it than that, I don't.  The Ice Cream dress is probably my favorite dress to make and to have Piper wear.  I made this one using Kaffe Fassett Shot Cotton in apricot, pink and granite.  The shot cotton is divine, so soft and light, the perfect fabric for a spring / summer dress.  I did have concerns about how lightweight it was and considered lining the middle panel so it wouldn't be see through but thanks to the lovely ladies on the Oliver + S discussion forum I was convinced it would be fine without a lining and it is.

The original inspiration for this dress was this top I saw at Target months ago:


I really like the colors of the top, but didn't like the cheapness of it.  I knew I could do better.  Once I had the dress finished, it was just a matter of waiting until the right day for Piper to wear it.  Today was perfect.  The weather was in the mid-80's.  The sun was shining bright.  The blooms were at their peak.  

Isn't this the perfect cherry blossom dress?



More cherry blossom photos can be found here.




No comments:

Post a Comment