Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Library Wednesday

This past fall, when the list for library themes was posted online I could hardly wait for today to come.  I knew immediately what Piper would wear because today's library theme was "Rescue Heroes."  Of course, I know they meant police, fire, ambulance personnel but I couldn't help it.  Piper had to be...


Wonder Woman!

I bought the Wonder Woman shirt some time in December from here.  It has been hanging in her closet in anticipation of today.  My original plan was to make a tutu.  I bought the tulle and had what felt like miles and miles of it laid out across my living room floor.  I despise working with tulle.  It's more hassle than it's worth, so I abandoned my original idea and went for plan B.  In the end, I think I am happier with plan B.

The skirt is a reverse Oliver + S Swing Set skirt just like the one I did here.  This is really becoming one of my favorite skirts to sew.  It's so quick and full of possibilities.  I may have to sew it the correct way some day just to see which I like better but for now this works for me.

On the skirt I added some gold detail around the waist band as a nod to Wonder Woman.


The gold thread was very difficult to work with.  I was having trouble setting the tension and the thread kept breaking.  My poor machine just did not like the gold thread.  I like the detail because it's fun but I doubt I'll use it again.

In addition to the skirt, I also made Piper some fancy new hair ties.


The free pattern for the hair ties can be found here.  I see a lot more hair ties in our future.  These were so quick and easy to put together and a great way to use up some of those precious pieces of fabric scraps that you just don't have the heart to throw away.

Piper got sooooo many compliments on her outfit.  The ladies at the coffee shop couldn't get enough of her.  The best part about this outfit is, the skirt and hair ties will be perfect for Memorial Day and 4th of July picnics.  

Check out my little ham in action:








1 comment: