So yesterday was Wednesday and we went to the library and the theme was "Nursery Rhymes." Which, I thought was going to be an easy theme but you'd be surprised.
This is the Oliver + S Book Report Dress done in Heather Ross Nursery Versery Little Pigs in Pink and Robert Kaufman Metro Living Circles in Chartreuse. I had been eyeing the Heather Ross fabric for quite a while but it is a Japanese import linen blend and is kind of pricy. When I heard what this weeks theme was it gave me the perfect opportunity to need to purchase some.
When the two fabrics arrived in the mail, I really liked them together. As I was putting the dress together, I started to think it was a mistake and didn't like them together at all. After I was finished and had a few days to admire my finished work it started to grow on me again. In the end, I like the finished product.
Like all O+S patterns this one had clear, easy to follow directions and cute details on the dress like the buttons at the neckline. I chose to use some mother-of-pearl buttons on both the shoulders and cuffs at the sleeves.
The back of the dress has a cute contrast yoke and pleated detail:
I guess I should point out the fabric details. Like I said the theme was nursery rhymes. Take a look at my cute pink piggies and see if you can figure out which nursery rhyme it was:
Did you get it? How 'bout, "this little piggie went to market, this little piggie stayed home, this little piggie had roast beef and this little piggie had none, this little piggie cried wee, wee, wee all the way home." Cute, right!
In addition to dressing Piper to match the theme she brings something for show-n-tell as well. Not that she ever gets up to show it but I keep hoping one day she will. I looked and looked through her plethora of stuffies and had nothing related to a nursery rhyme. So I quickly whipped up this guy on Sunday afternoon:
He's supposed to be Humpty Dumpty but I was kind of winging it. Surprisingly everyone recognized him. I taught Piper the rhyme, she calls him "humpy dumpy." :)
Finally here's one last look at my cutie model in her adorable new dress. I did add length to it hoping it would last her for fall, but I'm doubtful. Another thing to note, the bottom of the dress is quilting cotton. I think in the future, I'd like to use something with a little more weight to it. I just wasn't happy with the way it was hanging at times yesterday and I think that was partially due to the lightness of the quilting cotton. I do in fact have another dress like this finished and the bottom is twill, I'm anxious to have her wear it to see the difference. But, you'll have to wait to see it. ;)