Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Library Wednesday

Yay!  Library story time is back!  Each week story time has a theme and the stories and craft are centered around that theme.  The children are also encouraged to dress in / bring in theme related items to "show 'n tell" to the class. Story time is really what put me back behind the sewing machine.  One week last spring, the theme was snakes.  Piper didn't have a snake to bring or wear.  Zachary decided we should make her one.  So, we did (actually he did most of the work, I assisted).


After that it kind of became an obsession to make sure Piper was properly outfitted each week.  I can't believe how much my sewing skills have improved since then.  I look back at those first few dresses and am a little embarrassed that I sent her to library in them.  I guess there really isn't anything wrong with any of them, I just think I do much better work now. ;)

Anyway, I'm so happy that fall story time is starting today.  Today's theme is Back to School.  Today's outfit for story time is:


I was so excited when I found this fabric.  It's called Gumball's First Day of School Bus Route by Timeless Treasure.  I'm not sure I could have found a more perfect fabric for our theme this week.  Admittedly, it's difficult to work with a fabric like this that has such a large print for such a tiny person.  The best dress to highlight the print and theme was the Oliver + S Ice Cream Dress.  This is the second time I have made this dress in as many weeks (the first was the Candy Corn Dress).   I don't normally like to sew a pattern more than once.  I usually feel like, been there done that.  I don't feel that way with the O+S patterns.  As soon as I am finished with one, my mind starts racing with all the ideas for ways to change it up and make the next one.  I think it's the clear directions and the cute results that help with this feeling.

Despite this being the second time I have sewn this dress, I did sew the yoke on inside-out, but you can't tell. 


With the Candy Corn dress, I left the pockets off.  This time I added them, being very careful to match up the print.  I did omit the little notch in the pocket that mimics the notch in the yoke.  Call me lazy.


I had just enough of the grey (Michael Miller Back Yard Baby Snake Skin, grey) for the yoke and hem.  I didn't have enough for the lining of the hem, so I used a pretty blue cotton that I had in my stash.  


I did also finish the side seams with a french seam this time.  So the entire inside of the dress is finished.  I didn't take a picture of that.

I'm looking forward to a fun fall library story time and I know Piper is too.  Thanks to Miss Judy and Miss Barbara for making story time so enjoyable.  Check back next week to see what Piper will be wearing!






No comments:

Post a Comment