Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Library Wednesday

It's Library Wednesday.  I'm a little late getting this post up.  I haven't been feeling like myself lately and when given the choice between resting or doing work, rest seems to be my first choice.  I am working with my doc and our insurance to get a new medication approved and hopefully once that happens I will be back to myself.

Anyway, guesses as to the theme for this week?

It was the ocean!  I didn't want to keep making dresses for library.  I thought I would try to work in some practical pieces this week.  So I went with an appliqué t-shirt and Oliver + S Sailboat pants.

This was my first time doing an appliqué.  It wasn't as hard as I had imagined in my head it would be.  I'll admit, some of my stitching was a little wonky, but it didn't matter.  Piper liked the pink whale and at the end of the day, that's what is really important.

I used a Garanimals t-shirt from Wal-Mart that I think I paid $3 for, so no big loss if I messed it up.  To make the appliqué itself, I used Thermoweb Heat 'n Bond Lite.  The Heat 'n Bond was kind of fun to use, I can't wait to see what other things I can do with it.

For the pants, I used the Oliver + S Sailboat pattern done in a grey micro-brushed twill.

Instead of doing the pant as a capri, I lengthened them into a full length pant (is that a grammatically correct sentence?).  It had been getting chilly here and so I thought a pant would be more comfortable.  A pant would have been nice yesterday or last week, today however it is 80 degrees outside. 

The pants have an elastic waist in the back and close with 4 buttons on the front.  I opted to use a very pale pink button...

...because I lined the pants with a pink and white stripe cotton.

I'm not sure anyone at the library got the nod to the sea with the sailor inspired pants, but that's okay.

I like the fit of these and will make more.  I do think that I may not use actual buttons and button holes on the next pair.  My concern was getting them on and off, especially in a potty emergency.  We were lucky enough to run into that scenario and I was able to get them off without undoing the buttons at all due to the elastic backed waist.  I think just for a cleaner look on the front, I may do a faux button and sew the front panel closed.  I had some small gapping on the side of these, by sewing the entire thing I wouldn't have that problem either.

I have had some requests to see the model wearing her outfits.  She's not always cooperative, so it's just easier to throw things on the mannequin.  So, here is Piper at the library this morning wearing her ocean themed outfit.

And, it has become tradition for us to go to Starbucks on the way home from the library for a treat.

The good news is, I already have the next two weeks of library outfits done.  The bad news is, I just found out this weekend that I need to have both kids Halloween costumes finished by the 19th of October.  Yikes!  So, you may get a few Halloween sneak peaks over the next few weeks as I finish things up.  I'm usually too excited about a finished product to wait to show it. ;)

Check back next Wednesday to see what the library theme will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment