Sunday, September 9, 2012

Oliver + S Family Reunion Dress

So far this is probably one of my favorite finished projects lately.


A month or so ago, I was shopping and saw "short, shorts" for toddlers.  Toddlers aren't supposed to wear "short, shorts", toddlers are supposed to wear cute dresses that help them maintain their innocence as long as possible.  This is the kind of dress toddlers (and all little girls) should wear.

Piper is a big fan of the color purple.  I haven't used much purple to make her things.  However, since picking up some of the Riley Blake Dress Up Days a few weeks ago, we've been all about the purple.  This dress is done in the Grape Damask print with Kona Cotton in mulberry for accents.

Just like my previous Oliver + S projects, I enjoyed sewing this one.  I have several books about how to add embellishments to a garment.  I never feel like I need to do that with the Oliver + S garments because they are full of little details themselves.

For example, these adorable pin-tucks (that just didn't photograph well):



Or, this stitching around the hem:



There is a button placket down the back of the dress.  I'm not crazy about the idea of needing to button 6 buttons on a wiggly 2 year old but I imagine I can get it over her head with only 2 or 3 buttons open.  The buttons do give the dress a timeless feel.



At the yoke there is a little tab.  The tab is not a necessary part of the structure of the dress but it does add another design element.  I like that I was able to add some special buttons from my recently acquired button box to the top (please ignore the not so straight stitching lines on the tab).


Now that school is in full swing, Piper's classes will be starting back up too.  I am already planning for her to wear this to her first day of music class.  It's an adorable dress that is sure to be comfortable and perfect for playing in.  Also, library starts on Wednesday.  Come back then to see my first library dress for fall. :)





No comments:

Post a Comment