Thursday, July 12, 2012

Brown Sugar Cinnamon Cake

We are a family that likes two things; brown sugar and cinnamon and peanut butter (okay that might be 3 but the brown sugar and cinnamon go together).  Both DH and Zachary tried to convince me that peanut butter works with other things like champagne, but I refused to make a champagne/peanut butter cake.  However, for Zachary's birthday he requested a brown sugar and cinnamon cake.  Specifically he wanted something that tasted like a Cinnabon.  I did a little research online then decided it wasn't rocket science and came up with my own idea.

Brown Sugar Cinnamon Cake

1 yellow cake mix of your choice (either box or from scratch)
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon flour

1.) Prepare cake as directed.  Pour cake batter into pan(s).

2.) In a food processor pulse together butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and flour.  Pulse food processor just a few times to make a crumble.

3.) Sprinkle crumble on top of cake batter in pan(s).  Swirl in with a knife if you like.

4.) Bake cake as directed.

5.) Eat and enjoy!

I tried to take a picture of the finished product but it came out a little blurry.


Trust me, it was delicious.  I used a vanilla buttercream frosting to finish it off.  Maybe not a Cinnabon but still pretty tasty.  I got 2 thumbs up from the birthday boy.

2 comments:

  1. Looks amazing! Did you use frosting from a can or do you have a favorite vanilla buttercream recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim,
    You could certainly use canned frosting. I like to make my own. This is what I do.

    Buttercream Frosting
    1 cup butter (softened)
    4 cups (1 lbs. box is about 4 cups) confectioners sugar
    1-2 tsp. vanilla extract
    2-4 Tbsp. water or milk or heavy cream (when using milk or heavy cream the frosting will have to be refridgerated)

    Mix together the butter and sugar. Mix on low speed (unless you want to cover your kitchen with confectioner sugar) and slowly add sugar while mixing. Add the vanilla, continue mixing. Add liquid of choice in small amounts until you reach the desired consistency. I usually continue mixing another minute or so to make the frosting nice and light.

    ReplyDelete