Thursday, October 25, 2012

Halloween Preview (Part 1)

Finally, a preview of the kiddos Halloween costumes.  I sure do hope that after all this work, Hurricane Sandy doesn't dampen our Halloween festivities.  According the The Weather Channel, we might be right in her path.  Let's hope she changes her mind and stays out to sea!

This year for Halloween Piper is going to be Little Red Riding Hood:


Several months back I got my hands on a copy of Oliver + S Little Things to Sew.  Such a cute book with some great kid friendly projects.  One of the first things I noticed while looking through the book was a pattern for this darling hooded cape.  I was sold then and knew what Piper was going to be for Halloween.

The cape is done in a red corduroy.  My first instinct was to make the cape very luxurious, but then reality set in and spending upwards of $15 or more a yard for some fancy fabric just didn't make sense. I'm not the least bit disappointed I went with a less expensive fabric, it's still darling.  

The lining is Aneela Hoey's A Walk in the Woods.  I just couldn't resist adding Little Red Riding Hood to the lining of a red riding hood. :)



The dress was so simple.  It is the Oliver + S Music Box jumper with a few modifications.  I used the bodice pattern and added an inch or so to lengthen it so it hit near Piper's natural waist.  For the skirt, I used the width of the gingham fabric, twice.  Yep, that's 80+ inches of fabric wrapped around a 20" waist.  I gathered, and gathered, and gathered.  I wanted a nice full skirt so I could put a full pettiskirt under it.  I didn't get a good picture of the pettiskirt, but I will try to on Halloween night.  I got the pettiskirt from this shop online.



I have had the costume sitting in the living room in various stages of finishing for a few weeks.  I wanted Piper to see it all come together and get excited about it.  She goes back and forth each day as to wether she will actually wear it or not.  So, there is a good chance that the photo's you see on Halloween night will be her walking around the neighborhood in something other than this.  I hope she does decide that she'd like to be Red Riding Hood for Halloween, because I know she will look ridiculously cute in this costume! :)





3 comments:

  1. It's a fabulous costume, and she can wear the cape for winter too! I hope she decides to wear it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind comments.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete